In an effort to grow and expand its reach and support, the Louisiana Wildlife Federation (LWF) is seeking an experienced fundraising professional to join the organization as its Development Director. Working directly with the Executive Director, Rebecca Triche, the Development Director will create and implement a fundraising program to attract support from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
The successful candidate will have:
- Three to five years of fundraising experience
- Demonstrated success in achieving annual fundraising goals
- Experience managing and growing a membership program
- Knowledge and experience with budgeting and finance
- Demonstrated ability in managing and motivating volunteers
- Strong ability to tell the organization’s story and put forward a compelling case for support
- A passion for and/or understanding of natural resources conservation
The successful candidate will be a self-starter, have a high level of initiative and creativity, and be able to manage multiple deadlines. The ability to work independently is a must as well as the ability to work with staff and volunteers to plan and execute the annual fundraising plan.
The Development Director reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for implementing the organization’s forthcoming fund development plan. The Development Director will have the unique opportunity to build out a strategic fundraising program with the support of the Executive Director and the Board of Directors with an annual fundraising goal of $350,000.
The Development Director will:
- Manage and grow the membership program by laddering up donors through direct solicitation and coordinating direct mail solicitations (goal of 10% growth year over year)
- Maintain a gift recognition and stewardship program for the organization’s donors with a strong emphasis on donor retention
- Launch the Business Alliance membership program by identifying current business supporters and new corporate prospects
- Research, prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundation and corporate sources (10-15 grant applications per year)
- Oversee organization of special events and solicit sponsorships for the organization’s annual events, Conservation Awards Banquet and Convention
- Explore the possibility of adding a second fundraising event that aligns with the organization’s mission
- Leverage research, local landscape knowledge, and fundraising expertise to make strategic recommendations to build support for the organization and garner fundraising support
- Provide compelling content for LWF’s newsletter and social media pages
ABOUT THE LOUISIANA WILDLIFE FEDERATION
Louisiana Wildlife Federation (LWF) represents a broad constituency of conservationists including hunters, anglers, campers, birders, boaters, and other outdoor enthusiasts who believe in constructive conservation and protection of our state’s natural resources and the quality of the environment. LWF is an affiliate organization of National Wildlife Federation and together we form a powerful network for wildlife conservation locally and nationally.
Our principles include:
- Conserve Louisiana’s natural resources with emphasis on wildlife and their habitats
- Protect the rights of Louisiana citizens to enjoy these resources
- Advance sound, scientifically established resource management principles
- Engage outdoor enthusiasts through education and advocacy
Our dedication to Louisiana wildlife comes in the form of focused efforts via numerous annual programs and regular legislative initiatives:
LWF’s newest program, Conservation Leadership Corps, provides high school and college students with skills needed to become an effective champion of conservation issues. Participants will network with state, federal and private conservation organizations, learn critical communication and teamwork skills, and be a voice for the conservation of Louisiana’s natural resources.
Celebrating its 54thyear, the Conservation Awards recognize those individuals, organizations and businesses that have made a significant and outstanding contribution toward the protection and wise use of Louisiana’s natural resources.
The Federation convenes a stimulating Annual Convention each year, providing a forum and opportunity for LWF’s affiliates and individual members to establish policy and conservation objectives.
The Louisiana Camouflage Coalition offers sportsmen and women the opportunity to send information and opinions on issues important to hunters and anglers to decision makers at the local, state and federal level.
Hours: Full-time position, requiring occasional evening and weekend work
Benefits: Current benefits package includes health and dental insurance coverage for which the employer pays up to $400 per month of the premium; contribution to an IRA plan after one year of employment; and specified paid holidays, sick days and vacation days.
Location: LWF offices are in Baton Rouge. The organization is open to a semi-remote applicant that is willing to travel to the office a few days a week.
LWF is now accepting applications. Applicant review will begin upon receipt and will continue until the Development Director is named.
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter, and one fundraising writing sample (grant, solicitation letter, case for support, etc.) in PDF format to Sarah Cortell Vandersypen, Search Consultant at firstname.lastname@example.org “LWF Development Director” as the subject line. Questions may also be directed there.
The Louisiana Wildlife Federation is an equal opportunity employer.